Monday, February 23, 2015

Dear Family,

Remember that Opa Vassel (Bruno Vassel I) had a twin sister, Elfriede. She married a man from Sweden, Gustaf Oskar Hüttig. They only had one daughter, Gerda Hüttig. She is our 1 cousin once removed. 



​Gerda Hüttig married Erich ​Kühnemann. He has slashes on his cheeks in the photo we have because he was into sword fighting and the slashes where considered "cool."
After WWII, from 1945 to 1950, the Soviet Union used the occupied Buchenwald concentration camp to imprison defeated Nazis and other Germans. On 6 January 1950, the Soviets handed over Buchenwald to the East German Ministry of Internal Affairs. Erich spent 4 years, from 1945-1949 as a prisoner in that camp because he had been a German soldier. He survived and lived until 1981.


One week ago, www.Ancestry.com posted two groups of indexed records that have been extremely valuable for our research!!! They are marriages and deaths from Berlin just in the time period 1874-1920 when so many of our family were living in Berlin! As I searched the records, I found many relatives! I found that Erich Kühnemann was really Erich Fritz Victor Kühnemann. I also found his parents, and four sisters!!!

Last evening, as I was entering this information into www.familysearch.org, up came a record for the youngest sister, Vera Annelise Marta Kühnemann. I was stunned. SHE MOVED TO BRAZIL in 1954. We moved to Brazil in 1955!!!



Then I googled her name and found this website:

http://gw.geneanet.org/pmlhennings?lang=en;pz=peter;nz=hennings;ocz=0;p=fritz;n=kuhnemann

We are related to all of these people - cousins upon cousins!!! I then realized that the older sister of Vera Kühnemann Krause had married in Rio de Janeiro in 1926 to Luiz Licht and had 4 daughters born in Rio!!! My cousin Vera Vasssel Schlofman said she knew the four girls in Rio de Janeiro. 

The work goes forward!

Love, Marety - Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment